There and Back Again - an Australian Tale

There and Back Again - and Australian Tale

As of Friday, October 1st, 2010 I have officially been accepted to study abroad in Cairns, Australia. This program marks a new page being turned - another new start. I feel like my life is in need of some revamping and by traveling, submitting to my wanderlust, going somewhere new to learn new things in new ways - well, this trip is just billet I've been looking for. Come along and laugh at me, with me, or both as I prepare to tally forth, wander en and return from, the Land of Oz.

Australia's New National Animal

Australia's New National Animal
A Fez ?!

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Blizzcon, Birthdays and Boys - oh my!

Just kidding, there are no boys but hey, Happy Halloween! It’s  been an interesting few weeks, and I have had work coming forth from my ears so pardon the tardiness of this post. Went to Blizzcon 2010 out in Anaheim, California last weekend. It  was AMAZING and it was wicked sweet to be surrounded by so many geeks, especially only to find that the majority of them are indeed, bigger geeks than I am. We got to test out the beta for Blizzards newest upcoming release of Diablo III, get some sneak previews at some of the newer gear, world design, dungeons, raids, login screen and data for their soon-to-be-released World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Expansion. I would venture to say that one of the best moments was watching the world’s best raiding guild get STEAMROLLED by beefed up world bosses from years past.

This weekend it was my birthday (I’m finally 20!) We had crazy fun with costume contests, pumpkin smashing (they were our own pumpkins so no judgy-judgy for this one) and house alumni meet-n-greet (or see-n-tackle for those of us who knew the members personally before they graduated). I got to watch two of my good friends sing a duet and beat each other up being that they costumed as matching hero/villan from Dr. Horrible's Sing-along Blog. It was good laughs, good times and lots of dancing – a very good weekend and while I am MAJORLY unprepared for this week, it was, without a shadow of doubt or question in mind, 100% worth it. Oh well – get life while life is good.

So some suggestions about going abroad.  I feel like at least one or two further bullets are due to be mentioned:

Number 5:

 Make sure after getting in the preliminary round of documentation for your abroad program that you check the next closest due date for any paperwork required. IT WILL SNEAK UP ON YOU (as it is a trixy hobbit).

Number 6:

Start learning about where you are going to be and what kinds of clothing/gear/materials you are going to need to take out there with you. For example – the Aussie dollar is only ever a few decimals off from the US dollar HOWEVER all of their goods cost almost 2x as much and some products can be hard to find. Talk to your travel advisor on campus about Fed-Ex options for your shampoo, conditioner, deodorant and/or whatever else you might want to grab before you get there!

~*~

Yay for being useful! So going into this week I’m going to be really busy with all my work but as my preparation for Australia futhers, you will hear more from me and grab some useful tips while you’re at it. This week, for your entertainment, I would like you to go watch the Cataclysm Cinematic. It is a remarkable piece of screenwork.

Adios muchachos,
~ Sienna

P.S. - I posted the link to the 1st part of the 1st act of Dr. Horrible's Sing-along Blog ... join in the cult-status fun with some of the scifi/geektastic actors from our various favorite nerd series and movies (if you dare, because my friend, there is no going back)


Sneak Peak:

Dr. Horrible: I wanna do great things, you know? I wanna be an achiever, like Bad Horse.
Penny: The Thoroughbred of Sin?
Dr. Horrible: I meant .... Gandhi

end.

No comments:

Post a Comment